Friday, August 1, 2008

The Countdown Continues

The wedding is exactly THREE MONTHS away!!

Yesterday I was calm, but all of a sudden, seeing the 3 month mark today, I feel like I have so much to do! The most important thing is for us to finalize our plans for the ceremony itself. (We are doing that this weekend)

I've been looking through readings, poems, even lyrics to find something that is us. The best resource I have found, hands down, is this thread over at indiebride. Reading through there, I saw some things that really spoke to me. I'll admit though, it feels wierd to go through and seek out a reading just because that's what you are "supposed to" have during your ceremony. It honestly never even crossed our minds until people started asking us what kinds of readings we were going to have. Now, it would be different if there was a poem or something that we've both always loved or something like that but... oh well. For now we are looking into it. I don't think either of us want to force anything, but if we find the perfect thing, we'll use it. :)

On to the readings!

I've been looking at this.... (For various reasons)

I Corinthians 13:1-13
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.



But right now, I think this my favorite:

James Kavanaugh
To Love is Not to Possess

To love is not to possess,
To own or imprison,
Nor to lose one's self in another.
Love is to join and separate,
To walk alone and together,
To find a laughing freedom
That lonely isolation does not permit.
It is finally to be able
To be who we really are
No longer clinging in childish dependency
Nor docilely living separate lives in silence,
It is to be perfectly one's self
And perfectly joined in permanent commitment
to another--and to one's inner self.
Love only endures when it moves like waves,
Receding and returning gently or passionately,
Or moving lovingly like the tide
In the moon's own predictable harmony,
Because finally, despite a child's scars
Or an adult's deepest wounds,
They are openly free to be
Who they really are--and always secretly were,
In the very core of their being
Where true and lasting love can alone abide.

No comments: